Flan is probably the most popular of all Mexican desserts, and this coffee-flavored flan, with its silky texture, is my personal favorite. Be sure to warm the pan in the oven; this makes it easier to coat the pan with the caramel. The flan needs time to firm up in the refrigerator, so prepare it ahead.
Flan de Café - Mexican Coffee FlanPrint This
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 1 tablespoon brandy or rum
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Warm a 9-inch round x 2-inch deep cake pan in the oven. In a heavy medium saucepan, cook sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Quickly pour caramelized sugar syrup into the warm cake pan. Using potholders to protect hands, tip the pan around to coat the bottom and about 1 inch up sides with the caramel syrup. Set aside.
- Raise the oven to 325 degrees. In a saucepan, bring about 2 cups of water to boil. Meanwhile, place in a blender jar the three milks, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, coffee and brandy. Mix on low speed 1 minute until completely mixed and smooth. (If there